A couple of wording suggestions

richard.wiseman
First things first: thanks for such a clear, solid introduction to
Velocity.

I do have a couple of suggestions for slight wording changes where the
language doesn't sound right (from a UK English point of view, at
least):

1) In the Velocimacros section, there is a sentence that ends: "...but
when the Velocimacro is invoked, it must be called with the same number
of arguments with which it was defined."  I'm not sure that's
grammatically correct, and a colleague of mine suggests changing the end
to: "...same number of arguments as in its definition."  I had
considered simply inserting "as" before the final "with" as an
alternative, but that may be a little cumbersome.

2) In the Case Substitution section, there is a sentence ending: "...its
developers have strove to catch and correct user errors wherever
possible."  We believe "have strove" is incorrect and should either
simply be "strove" (i.e., removing the "have"; though that does change
the tense) or more likely should be "have striven".

Thanks again for such a well written and pitched user guide.

Regards,

Richard Wiseman

Re: A couple of wording suggestions

Shinobu Kawai
Hi Richard,

> I do have a couple of suggestions for slight wording changes where the
> language doesn't sound right (from a UK English point of view, at
> least):
>
> 1) In the Velocimacros section, there is a sentence that ends: "...but
> when the Velocimacro is invoked, it must be called with the same number
> of arguments with which it was defined."  I'm not sure that's
> grammatically correct, and a colleague of mine suggests changing the end
> to: "...same number of arguments as in its definition."  I had
> considered simply inserting "as" before the final "with" as an
> alternative, but that may be a little cumbersome.
>
> 2) In the Case Substitution section, there is a sentence ending: "...its
> developers have strove to catch and correct user errors wherever
> possible."  We believe "have strove" is incorrect and should either
> simply be "strove" (i.e., removing the "have"; though that does change
> the tense) or more likely should be "have striven".

I'm no master of English, but maybe you could file this in the
bugzilla so it doesn't get forgotten.  :)
  http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Velocity&component=Documentation

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--