ApacheCon NA 2017

Christopher Schultz-2
All,

I'm going to be in Miami for this year's ApacheCon. In all the years
I've been going to ApacheCons, I've never seen a single presentation on
Velocity. That probably has something to do with the following:

1. Until recent work, it's been a "mature" project (no excitement)
2. It's not particularly sexy; it gets the job done

Are there any topics anyone has been considering presenting anytime
recently? Even something like "what's new in Velocity 2"? I'd certainly
like to (a) breathe new life into the community and (b) meet some
members of said community. A talk at ApacheCon can help out a lot with that.

I'll already be presenting at least one talk on Tomcat. I'd be happy to
work with someone to develop a presentation that promotes the Velocity
community in some way.

I've been a committer in name only for quite a few years, mostly because
of the maturity of this project (my work wasn't really required), so
perhaps I'm not the best choice for a subject-matter expert. But I'm
perfectly happy to stand up in front of people and talk about technology.

Is anyone else planning to attend? Would anyone be willing to present?

Thanks,
-chris

Re: ApacheCon NA 2017

Nathan Bubna
On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 7:57 AM, Christopher Schultz <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm going to be in Miami for this year's ApacheCon. In all the years
> I've been going to ApacheCons, I've never seen a single presentation on
> Velocity. That probably has something to do with the following:
>
> 1. Until recent work, it's been a "mature" project (no excitement)
> 2. It's not particularly sexy; it gets the job done
>
> Are there any topics anyone has been considering presenting anytime
> recently? Even something like "what's new in Velocity 2"? I'd certainly
> like to (a) breathe new life into the community and (b) meet some
> members of said community. A talk at ApacheCon can help out a lot with
> that.

I haven't heard of any. I know Henning used to do talks on Velocity (i
replaced him once at OSCON). I do think a talk is a great idea, especially
with all Claude's work toward a new release.

> I'll already be presenting at least one talk on Tomcat. I'd be happy to
> work with someone to develop a presentation that promotes the Velocity
> community in some way.
>
> I've been a committer in name only for quite a few years, mostly because
> of the maturity of this project (my work wasn't really required), so
> perhaps I'm not the best choice for a subject-matter expert. But I'm
> perfectly happy to stand up in front of people and talk about technology.

Knowing Velocity, being a longtime part of the dev community, and being
willing to talk about it in front of people make you nearly as good a
choice as anyone.

> Is anyone else planning to attend? Would anyone be willing to present?

Alas, not i.

> Thanks,
> -chris

Re: ApacheCon NA 2017

Geir Magnusson Jr.-3

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Christopher Schultz <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> But I'm
> perfectly happy to stand up in front of people and talk about technology.

+1!

Do it!

> Is anyone else planning to attend? Would anyone be willing to present?
>
> Thanks,
> -chris

Re: ApacheCon NA 2017

Christopher Schultz-2
Geir,

On 1/4/17 11:16 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>> On Jan 4, 2017, at 10:57 AM, Christopher Schultz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

> <snip>
>
>> But I'm
>> perfectly happy to stand up in front of people and talk about technology.
>
> +1!
>
> Do it!
Right.

So... does anyone want to tell me what's new in 2.0? I haven't been
paying attention.

As crappy as this is to say, I've ignored pretty much everything since
the build process switched to Maven because I'm too crusty to understand it.

-chris

Re: ApacheCon NA 2017

Claude Brisson-2
A talk would be great. Should we also talk about the tools? Should it be
focused only on new features, or include some "philosophical" points of
view about top-down frameworks vs bottom-up toolboxes, MVC, etc?

What about building talk content on a shared doc?

A good starting point would be to extract interesting features from [1]
and [2].

   Claude

[1] http://velocity.apache.org/engine/devel/changes.html
[2] http://velocity.apache.org/tools/devel/changes.html