Velocity 1.7 slower than 1.4

TNO

Velocity 1.7 slower than 1.4

TNO
Hi,

we try a few month ago to upgrade velocity to 1.7 from 1.4.
Just a replacement in Maven pom.xml.

Then, we measure a lot of treatment before and after and  and what our
surprise : it 'is about 10 times slower with velocity 1.7 !

Did I miss something ?

Cherrs, Thomas

Re: Velocity 1.7 slower than 1.4

Claude Brisson-2
That's the first feedback like this we get. If you provide us with some
profiling information, we may help...

Regards,

   Claude

On 12/12/2014 14:52, TNO wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we try a few month ago to upgrade velocity to 1.7 from 1.4.
> Just a replacement in Maven pom.xml.
>
> Then, we measure a lot of treatment before and after and  and what our
> surprise : it 'is about 10 times slower with velocity 1.7 !
>
> Did I miss something ?
>
> Cherrs, Thomas

Re: Velocity 1.7 slower than 1.4

Boris Partensky
Wonder if it's related to "directive.if.tostring.nullcheck" setting, which
defaults to "true". In our case it caused tons of GC tenuring (leading to
pauses, full GC etc) because it calls toString() on every single object
(including collections). I'd look first if performance hit is due to GC.

TNO

Re: Velocity 1.7 slower than 1.4

TNO
Thanks for the answers, I think it's my mystake !

In my velocity.properties file.resource.loader.cache was set to false,
when I set to true, it's OK.

By the way, what is the best velocity.properties configuration ?

here's my production configuration :

# PRODUCTION
file.resource.loader.cache = true
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = -1
velocimacro.library.autoreload = false
parser.pool.size = 10